Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Introduction

For the first post of my blog I think it is necessary that I introduce a bit about myself and what I will be blogging about.

I am a fourth year computer science major who has had a lifelong interest in computers. When I was in grade 4 I learned HTML and created my first webpage. My early interest in computers probably has a lot to do with that fact that my father works with computers as an IT manager at a technology company and so I naturally picked up a lot about computers growing up. When I was young I was always trying to learn and make new things using the computer, be it drawing, making webpages or even trying to program my own games. 

The thing that sets me apart from many computer science students is that I have always been a bit more interested in the creative uses of computers rather than solely how they work. Many of my friends growing up had a similar interest and a few of them decided to pursue it by going to an art school. Since I have always done reasonably well at the academics I took the university route. Looking back I feel that I made the right decision by pursuing a computer science major. I have done well with my courses and my grades reflect it, ironically, being considerably better than in high school.

During my time at university, I have managed to work some of my interests into my studies through the courses that I have taken and some of the projects I have worked on in my free time. One example was a computer animation course that I took last semester where me and a team of 4 other students were tasked with creating a short animated film for our final project. However, the most interesting experience over the past 4 years was during my last co-op term where I worked at Capcom improving some of their internal tools they use for making their video games. But I will save the details of those for a future blog entry.

For the sake of wrapping things up I will say that I intend on making this a blog about interesting projects I have finished or am currently working on related to computer graphics and game development. And I will be posting a new entry at least twice a week with a couple days in between to think up more interesting things to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment