Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

End of Semester

     This is the last blog entry I will post for the spring semester. I mentioned back in February that I had created this blog for a technical writing course that I have been taking at university. The goal was to write 26 blog entries by April 11th, and surprising I have achieved the goal. Over the past four months I have posted articles about my projects and topics that interest me related to graphics and games. There were many times during the semester where I was either busy with other courses or simply had trouble thinking up interesting topics to write about. However, I was eventually able to find a good routine and managed to get all of my blog entries written and posted.

     I had several goals that I established when I started writing this blog. The most fundamental goal was obviously to get a mark in a course. However, I tried to think of this assignment more as a way of improving my writing and experiencing what it would be like to write regular blog entries. I have yet to go back and read some of my first entries to see I have improved but I definitely found myself proofreading each blog entry several times before I posted it, keeping in mind the rules of clear writing that I learned in the course.

     Another goal that I had with this blog was to practice documenting some of my interesting programming projects. At the beginning of the semester I wrote blog entries about my game projects and more recently I have been explaining some of the interesting features I have been adding to my most recent game project during the semester. I find this a good thing to practice because while I have a good understanding of the projects that I have worked on it is important that I can clearly describe these projects to other people. I still feel that I have some trouble in this area but practicing through blogging is definitely helping.

     During the semester I also tried to use this blog as a way of putting some of my thoughts into writing, such as when I tried to write about what I did and didn't like in a particular game or algorithm. I find this was helpful because while I have often thought about this it does not become as solid in my mind until I put it into words. My hope is that if I continue to do this I will find it easier to answer these kinds of questions during future job interviews.

     While this blog project may be over, I still have exams before my semester officially ends. After my exams are over I will have a couple weeks vacation and then I am right back to school for the summer. Since this blog will probably be checked for marking over the next couple weeks I wont post any more blog entries for a while. However I have found this blog very useful and I hope to continue this blog over the summer with the commitment to at least 1 blog entry a week and no more than 1 a day.

     I hope you have enjoyed reading my blog as much as I have enjoyed writing it! Have a good Summer!

I created this beach scene back in 2010 using the 3D modeling program Blender

No comments:

Post a Comment