Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Graphics Software: Inkscape

     Over the next couple weeks I am going to write a couple blog entries about the computer graphics applications that I have used. I have been using these applications for a number of years and have become quite skilled with them. I will explain what they do, why I like them so much and how I have used them. All of these programs are open source and free to download.

     The first program I am going to talk about is Inkscape, an open source vector graphics application. It is used to produce a type of art known as Scaleable Vector Graphics (SVG). SVG differs from pixel-based graphics because it represents objects using shapes. Well pixel-based graphics usually store the value of each pixel in a large array, SVG stores primitive shapes in an XML format. SVG's biggest advantage is that there is no loss of quality when scaling an image. SVG has grown in popularity over the past few years because it has been supported by modern internet browsers and improves consistency across devices with different display resolutions such as mobile phones.

     I have tried many vector graphics applications but I have found Inkscape to be the best. These days it is my first choice for creating quick graphics. I use it to create most of the graphics for my games and I even like to use it to create diagrams for reports. I have also found it to be useful for planning website layouts and picking color schemes.

Notice the repeated elements and primitive shapes I used to create this complex scene

      What makes it so useful is that creating an object out of several primitive shapes is very intuitive. Inkscape provides all of the standard Constructive Solid Geometry (CSG) functions that allow you do such operations as taking the union or intersection of shapes. It is also easy to duplicate and reuse pieces of objects to help create more complex objects. For example, when creating a house you might start by designing one of the windows using primitive shapes, once you have a single window you can group the primitive shapes and then copy and paste the window as many times as you need. I often save objects that I have created so that I can reuse them in future projects.
Three diagrams using difference shading techniques to add depth.
Plain (Left), shadow (Center), Gradient and Shine (Right)
     I have also found that the gradient and blur tools are very useful for adding depth to any image and make it eye-catching. I have created a quick example diagram in the image above. I have added a shadow, gradient and a bit of a shine to give the graph some depth. These effects are so easy to do in Inkscape and make the image much more eye-catching.

     In many ways Inkscape reminds me of when I used to use Flash to create animations. Although I find Inkscape has more features and is more intuitive than flash, it does not have the animation tools that Flash had. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find another vector animation software that even comes close to Flash. Maybe one day I have will make one myself.

     Inkscape is definitely one of my favourite open source software applications and I am constantly recommending it. For me it is probably tied with blender in my list of favourite open source graphics applications, since I find Inkscape more useful on a daily basis, whereas blender is amazing because it is so powerful. Later this week I will probably talk more about why I like Blender. In the meantime, if you are interested you can checkout a tutorial video I created explaining my process for creating graphics using Inkscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment