Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Summer in Innovation

     I mentioned I have already mentioned that since the courses offered at my university are very sparse I have been looking for alternatives. Initially I thought I should try to find another co-op job, however I have already done 4 semester of co-op and would really like to concentrate on graduating so that I can get a full time position.

     Then I heard about a program that my university is offering called the Summer in Innovation. The program is targeted at upper division computer science, business and interactive arts and technology (IAT) students. Twenty-four students, eight students from each of those three disciplines, will be chosen and the program will have a focus toward working with and learning cross disciplinary concepts to develop software applications.

     The theme for the summer is all about designing mobile applications. From what I understand the course will involve several mobile applications developed as part of smaller groups and a couple developed as a large group. There will also be several industry experts that will come to discuss innovative ideas in mobile applications to share their thoughts and get feedback from the students.

     This program would count toward my graduation as a 15 credit course which would fulfill the 14 credits that I still need to graduate. I would also fulfill the honours research credit and if I decided to I could take 4 more courses in the fall to graduate with honours. So in terms of program requirements this seems to meet my need perfectly.

     Considering that this is a 15 credit course I assume that it will be very intensive. It will be the only course I will be taking and will probably take at least as much time as working on co-op. I do not believe this will be a problem, since I have done co-op and have worked on intensive group projects like my animation project.

     I am also very interested in working with mobile application and feel that this would be valuable experience to have given their growing popularity. It would also give me more opportunities for possible careers after graduation at are not directly related to games.

     Since I found this program interesting I decided to apply. They liked my application and I was accepted into the program. So this is what I will be doing this summer I am very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment